Maren’s Birth Story

If you’re not one for birth stories, feel free to steer clear of this post.

On Tuesday morning, we welcomed baby Maren into our lives and graduated to full-on family of four status.  This means I had two babies at 38 weeks, 2 days gestation and both on Tuesdays.  What are the odds?

I went into labor at about midnight with both kiddos.  Sadly, I had slept about a half hour before contractions started with Maren.  When I went into labor with Silas, I was in denial most of the day since I figured I’d go past my due date for my first babe, and contractions began at 30 minutes apart, so it was a gradual process.  Si’s labor was manageable and mild compared to Maren’s speedy and seriously intense one!

Maren was a totally different pregnancy and delivery.  I felt amazing my entire pregnancy until I fell at 32 weeks.  After the fall, I fought off several bouts of contractions and was on take-it-easy duty until we got to early term.  Come to find out, the first part of my labor was really stretched out over the course of six weeks with her, which was both unnerving and kind of nice.

I felt like I had cried wolf so many times thinking I was in legit labor that I hesitated to call the midwife at one a.m. on a Tuesday morning boasting 3 minute apart contractions for fear it was round 72 of false labor.  It wasn’t.  We headed in to the hospital at three after more than 2 hours of regular contractions.  My Mom and Tim were with me, which was exactly how I wanted it to be.

Once we got to the hospital, I had intended to labor in the birthing tub but instead had to hang out on the monitor with an oxygen mask for 2 hours for the sake of baby’s heart rate.  It was a little discouraging, but she perked up eventually and I got off the monitor in time to start in with really intense contractions.

By six in the morning, I was really ready to be done after wrestling back labor and being up all night.  I mean OUCH.  I felt really in control my first labor, but this one nearly got the better of me by the end (although Tim still says I was a rock star).  Props to my labor support duo.  I really don’t know how people do without it.

At eight o’five in the morning, she came into the world making a bit of a fuss and looking plump and perfect.  I was really proud to get to the end this time just because I was so worn out, and I was equally proud that she looked so healthy!  I gained the exact same amount of weight with both pregnancies, but what a difference this time with no morning sickness.  Two whole pounds bigger than Si was!

Recovery wise, I am very head-to-toe sore and tired this time.  I basically had two all nighters in a row (one in labor and one where she cluster fed on the hour for most of the night at the hospital) so these last few days have been very laid back.  We’ve had a lot of company and Tim has been on his A game with feeding and care of a tired mama and rambunctious toddler.  He’s been so supportive and helpful in making sure I actually lie down when I have the opportunity while he has been on total Silas duty.

So far, Maren is a super nurser (albeit shortlived–she gets soooo sleepy about five gulps after she was ravenous just moments before), sleeps a handful of hours at a time at night, cluster feeds at about 11pm (oh boy!), smiles a ton in her sleep, and is totally content to just sit and observe.  She only cries when she’s hungry or to protest a diaper change now and then.  No jaundice and already past her discharge weight!  Healthy little bella baby.  We are loving how hearty she is already.

We’re still sort of boycotting phones/emails/facebook at this point, but we hope to be back in the communication game once the week starts and the company slows.

For those of you who wanted to skip the story and get to the pictures, here they are.  She has changed so much in the last few days already.  Those cheeks!!

ImageImageImageImagephoto 4 (6)photo 1 (5)

 photo 3 (8) photo 4 (9) photo 2 (6) photo 5 (5) photo (2) unnamed

 She looks a little like mama, but the consensus is she looks very much like her Uncle Logie’s baby pictures.  My Grandma Susie, Maren’s middle namesake, is the one holding Logan.

photo 3 (5)photo 2 (5)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s